Monday, March 14, 2011

My best friend asked me to marry him!


You heard it right, I am no longer waiting to get engaged, because yesterday Nathan took the plunge and asked me to marry him! Just when I honestly let it go, and was content with placing the subject on the back burner, the boy pulls off the ultimate surprise. Let me tell you all about it...as I recall. March 13, we had plans to go to Nathan's parents house on the lake to take their brand new boat for a cruise and have dinner. A totally typical Sunday for us during the summer. My proposal instincts were not heightened, nor peaked in the least. As a matter of fact, the weather was not as glorious as it has been, so yours truly even suggested we rain check and go in a couple weeks. What a mistake that would have been! Nathan let me know that there was still dinner planned despite the weather, and we were on our way. Everything is completely normal. Terry normal, Laurie normal, Nathan normal, G and Daisy-NORMAL. We go take a look at the new boat, then go inside and visit for about an hour. Then Nathan suggests in front of his parents that he and I take the boat out, by ourselves. I pause, and look at them, and politely remind him that it is his dad brand spanking new boat and that I think they were wanting to join us. Right? Right? Goodness the boat was put in the water 24 hours ago! Laurie, his mom, starts pulling items out of the fridge and casually says she is going to start preparing dinner. His dad says he has some work stuff he needs to handle and we of course can take it for spin. WOW. However, this still does not tip me off....at all. We grab our bag and G-the boxer, and Terry pushes us out of the slip. Behind a fake smile, I am talking to Nathan, asking how in the heck did he get his dad to do this? Smile Smile Smile...he is watching us from the shore, nervously. Nathan tells me that his mom did the convincing and that was that. I was happy. Lake cruising on an amazing boat, with Nathan and G. The sun even peaked out and I could not ask for a better Sunday...or could I? After a while we put the boat in neutral and decide to hang out for a bit before going back. There are captains chairs towards the front of the boat so I take a seat. Ahhhhhh, this is the life. Nathan and I had joked about which house would be ours some day and I joked about a wedding location on the lake. Hind sight, not the best thing to say. I did not sense he was nervous at all. After a few minutes, he asked me to see what G was getting into behind my seat. I turn completely around and let him know there was a rope and G was just looking at it, good dog. I twirl back around, and my best friend, my boyfriend, my confidant, my roomy, my everything is right in front of me and I barely recognize him because he is down on one knee with the most amazing ring. I remember seeing the box first, white, then him opening it and then the next few moments are blurry. I know I threw my hands over my mouth and muttered/screamed, "Oh my Gosh!" There was a, "Will you marry me?" Then I shreeled again, "Oh my Gosh! What?!" (imagine the highest octave a female voice can go) Another, "Will you marry me?!" (a little panicked) And another "Oh my Gosh! Really?!" And a final, "BABE, will YOU marry ME?!" And a "YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!" I jumped up as he stood up and kissed him. Somewhere in there Nathan tried to put the ring on my shaking hand and I grabbed it from him and shoved it on my finger. More screams, more kisses, and lots of hugging and smiling, and screaming, and oooohhhing and awwwwwing. The best moment of my life. I will remember that moment for the rest of my life. Sneaky Laurie and Terry were in on the whole thing! They had packed us a bottle of champagne and flutes in a cooler hidden under the seat. As soon as we gained our composure, Nathan popped the bottle and we toasted. So perfect. So stinking perfect. Just then a boat drove by and I waved with my left hand, palm facing me. Like a total dork. It felt surreal. I have dreamt about "the proposal" and then I wake up. Snap, it is all gone. It felt like a dream, a living dream. Once we finally had a moment of silence, I noticed Nathan was staring off. I asked him if he was okay and he answered, "Yes, I need a minute...I just got engaged." The huge smile on his face reassured me that he too, was excited, in a manly kind of way, of course. We got back to the house and Terry was waiting for us to assist with putting the baby back in the slip. Atlas, I see why and how he agreed to letting us take out the boat--his contribution as he called it. The neighbors were there too, and congratulated us. Laurie met me at the door and both of our water works turned on. I made all the appropriate phone calls, Mom & Dad, Sister, and Dani--screams across the board. Nathan blasted out a man text letting everybody know I said Yes! Turns out he has had the ring for quite some time and was just waiting for the perfect time to do it. I honestly had no idea. No idea. It was the best proposal ever. It was perfect to me. He told me he had other ideas tossed around too, but I personally am glad he did it the way he did. I am so happy his parents were a part of our special day. I am still so shocked that I am engaged to my best friend, and more so shocked he actually surprised me. To many more surprises and moments like this...Pictures to come!
Right before he asked me!
His Best mate:
I can not wait to be his wife one day!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! :)
    I wish that would happen to me too.

    ReplyDelete